Thursday, July 14, 2011

ok.. so on Monday night, I tried my friend's suggestion - rubbing alcohol w/vinegar - Oh-Em-Gee!! it burned!! I was literally almost crying (I was saying "ow, ow, ow!".. but no tears).

imagine this - you have a cut.. you put lemon juice in it.. now keep pouring lemon juice on it.. what does it feel like now??

stop!! why would your torture yourself so!?

well, that was me, pouring rubbing alcohol and vinegar in my ear.. not just 1 drop, not 2, or 3, or 4.. but 5!!! and I had to let it sit there for 30 seconds!!! I couldn't take it anymore.

I tipped my head the other way and stuck the corner of a tissue in there, hoping to suck up this evil liquid.. pull out the tissue, little streaks of drops of blood - yes, this vile liquid was making my ear bleed!

so yesterday at work (yes, when I should have been working..) I researched more remedies.. copied several weblinks, and emailed 'em back to myself at home..

there were 3 I found intriguing (but would they work??):
1) tip my ear sideways over a humidifier
2) steam shower to loosen the 'gunk' in my ear
3) heat an onion in the microwave - let the onion steam loosen the 'gunk' in my ear (supposedly works with garlic too)



I came home and pulled out our ancient humidifier, filled the tank with water, and plugged it into the only available outlet in the entire house. sat there for what felt like 'forever' with my head tweaked sideways.. melted off most of my face, neck, and shoulder.. it finally got too hot so I had to stop (it's been relatively cool here lately.. but I'm still overheating on a "good" day)

didn't work - scratch that plan. I shuddered at the thought of enhaling onion steam.. so I skipped that 'remedy' but opted for the steam shower (I needed one of those anyway).

I started up the shower as hot as I could get it.. washed all of me faster than I ever have in 36+ years.. then stood with my ear catching all the steam it could find.. waited and waited and waited, until the water heater couldn't give anymore - then gave up.. again.

strike 2..

tonight I tried peroxide. 5 drops in my ear for 15 minutes - lots of crackles and pops, but unfortunately I still can't hear on my right side.. strike 3

fortunately life isn't a baseball game.. I'll just keep trying

No comments: